Erin and I have a combined thirteen years of living in China. Below we share seven tips to figure out Chinese characters!
Seven ways to learn Chinese Characters
- Memrise! Find the easiest online course and start there. Memrise also has an app now, for learning on the go.
- Connect characters to visual meaning to memorize faster.
- Write, write and write more. Start to cover the characters and try to write them from memory.
- Buy magic Chinese writing paper which allows you to draw characters using water. Once the character fades away you can re-write in the same location.
- Download Anki App. Learning through flashcards.
- Elementary Chinese Scavenger Hunt. Weekly challenges to find characters in your everyday life and learning their meaning.
- Reading books that teach Chinese characters. Check out my list of the best Chinese books.
Is learning Chinese hard?
I get a ton of emails asking me ‘how hard is it to learn Mandarin Chinese?’. The honest answer is, learning Mandarin Chinese is hard. But, if you’re learning Chinese in China you have an added advantage because I can provide you with the tools you need to communicate effectively in Mandarin Chinese.
Top three ways to learn Chinese
1. FREE guide to learning Chinese!
The first thing you should check out is my eight effective ways to learn Chinese free guide. It breaks down the top ways to learn Chinese fast!
2. The best books to learn Mandarin Chinese
There are so many books which claim to help you master the Chinese language. And, most of them are a waste of money. I’ve used my 10 years experience of living in China and learning Chinese to compile a comprehensive guide of the best books to learn Chinese.
3. Weekly live streams
The most effective way to learn Chinese in China is to experience the language for yourself. I guide you through everyday situations in my live Youtube videos, helping you learn Mandarin Chinese quickly and effectively. What aspects of learning Chinese are you struggling with?
Comment below and I’ll make a video to help you overcome language barriers in China.
Affiliate link disclaimer: If you purchase any of these books through the links found on this page a teeny bit of the cost helps me pay my bills and continue to provide you with valuable content. Hope that’s cool.
The Great Firewall of China
Want to use the VPN I use for a stable, quick connection in China? I depend on it to upload more than six videos a week and live-stream on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. And here’s my second choice for a VPN. Plus, when you download from either link, they share some of the cost with me, so I can keep creating the videos you love.